Cost of Living

In the International Student Guide you can find Cost of Living under heading "Umeå, Sweden and the Swedes". You can also read about Money and Budget under heading "At Home".


If you are a citizen of a country that is NOT in the European Union or the European Economic Area, the Swedish Migration Agency requires you prove that you have funds to cover your living expenses (SEK 8 064 per month) when you apply for a student visa. More information


Scholarships for covering costs of living or travels are not offered by Umeå Institute of Design or Umeå University. However, there are other organisations in Sweden and other countries that do so. Please check the link below, and ask a study advisor or international coordinator at your home university for tips.

The Swedish Institute